Monday, November 5, 2018

Suck to succeed.


I have been reluctant to publish more of my blog posts, because they need a lot of work. You see I'm not really a writer and good writing doesn't come as easy I'd like. The drafts that I have in the works are okay,  but I'm not ready to post them. However, this is not intended to be an excuse. I am telling you this to let you know that I am experiencing the "suck to succeed" process as it relates to writing.  It relates to any learning process, really.

The "suck to succeed" or "fail better"process as I like to call it, could be described like this. When you start to pick up a new skill, you can count on being bad at it for a time. That time could last a long time or less, depending on several factors. They could include personality, environment and background which I won't discuss in this blog. They definitely include determination, discipline, open mindedness and practice which I will talk about especially practice.

I think that everyone is born with a certain amount of bad work in them and the only way to get that bad work out is to execute it, execute as in perform it, write it, draw it, dance it etc. Also a guide or teacher will help shorten the process. As the bad work is produced it is gone at least that particular piece is. As the bad drawings are drawn, the bad songs are sung and bad blog posts are written, they are exorcised. The bad work begins to improve with a set backs interspersed, which is typical. Eventually the bad work becomes better than previous good work.

The bad work is never completely banished. It is diminished and the scale of the bad work is raised and continues to improve as long you continue to practice, work and study. Study is important to shape the skill more efficiently. When the process of practice is interrupted the bad work that is still within you will replicate until the habit of practice is reestablished. Then depending on the length of the break in routine the "suck to succeed" process will revert to an earlier stage.

Everytime I step in front of the easel I keep this idea in mind. Whether I am painting a commissioned piece, producing work for a show, giving a demonstration or making art for fun, I tell my self that it is all practice, practice in order to keep the skills sharp and not lose any ground, so I don't have to suck as badly as I have in the past. I think I'll take this approach to writing and see where it gets me.   https://www.facebook.com/TheAlvarezSchool/

No comments:

Post a Comment